Saturday, September 7, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth -- Review

((I wrote this a LONG time ago on my Goodreads. It's a horrible fangirly review, so I may rewrite it later on.)) 
Well. This one's going to be hard to review because I'M SO freaking OBSESSED WITH IT!!
Let me start by saying that when I first read this book, I was so eager to see what happened next, that I kinda "skimmed" the whole book. Which I completely regret. It goes kind of slow at first, but it's all important. I wish I could go back and forget what I read, and read it the right way. But I can't. SO I re-read it. I have no idea how many times I've read this book, but it's a lot. 
I have so much to say about this book, i don't have ANY idea where to start Dx
Alright, I'll start with the beginning. 
GOD I CANT THERES TOO MUCH GOING ON IN MY MIND!!!
Ok, I think I should obsess first, review later.
F
O
U
R
ohmygod. four. *starts hyperventilating* Too much to say about four, so little time (meaning I'm lazy)
First of all, Four is so mysterious which I kind of liked at the time, but I'm so glad we learned more about him through the book. 
FOURFOURFOURFOUR


EDIT Better Review, without as much obsessing

How does one properly write a review for their favorite book? They don't. Or at least, I don't. I have so much to say about this book, and a short attention span. I will try to make this make as much sense as possible, but I can't promise anything.
Summary: [spoiler alert] 
Beatrice Prior, born into Abnegation, the selfless, feels out of place. She thinks she is anything but selfless. Even though her aptitude test gives her results for Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. That's why, when the choosing ceremony comes, she tranfers out of Abnegation and into Dauntless, the brave.
After jumping off a building (into a net) Beatrice meets Four, the instructor, and later love interest (<4), and renames herself Tris. She becomes friends with Will, Christina, and Al, all transfers. They help eachother through initiation. She then meets Dauntless initiates, Uriah, Lynn, and Marlene. They become friends too. After Tris is ranked first in initiation stage 2, Peter and his friends/thugs kidnap her in the middle of the night and dangle her over the chasm, claiming to have just been trying to scare her. Al is with them. Four saver her. She learns who Four really is (Tobias Eaton, from Abnegation) by going through his Fear landscape with him. After a long make-out sesh with Four, the next day in training, she gets scared and he yells at her. She runs off to her brother Caleb, in Erudite, and gets in trouble. Eric, the Dauntless leader, threatens to kick her and her friends out, to become factionless, when Four steps in. Turns out, he was just trying to protect her by yelling at her.
Then, all of Dauntless is put under a simulation run by the Erudite, to attack the Abnegation. All except the Divergent, Tris and Four. When Eric tries to shoot Four, thinking he was under the simulation, Tris shoots Eric, and they run off. Tris gets shot and is captured, Four stays with her and he is put under a simulation designed for Divergent "rebels". Tris is set to be executed, and her mother saves her. They then escape to the place where their family is hiding, but her mother is shot and killed. Tris kills Will. Finds Four, who is running the simulation, while under one of his own, and attempts to stop him. She has the chance to, by killing him. She turns the gun in her hands and gives it to him, unable to do so.
He comes out of the simulation and destroys the computer, freeing the other Dauntless from the simulation.
They escape and get on a train to Amity.

[/spoiler alert]

The characters in this book were amazing, so relatable and well developed, as well as the relationships between them. The plot was fast paced and interesting, had me hooked from start to finish.
The only thing about this book I didn't like was the name Beatrice. I had actually read the blurb, considering reading it, but when I read the name "Beatrice" I was totally turned off. I didn't like that name, and decided not to read it. It was totally stupid, and I will not make that mistake again. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment